Code of conduct
Mental Health Arts Space (MHAS) is dedicated to providing a safer, inclusive, and welcoming space, particularly for BIPoC and other marginalized individuals and communities. We do not tolerate racism, discrimination, xenophobia, homo- and transphobia, harassment or bullying in any form.
Discrimination, bullying, intimidation and harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Sustained disruption of any live-streamed, online or in-person event or Q&A
- Deliberate intimidation or stalking of any kind – online or in person
- Collection or distribution of harassing photography and/or recordings
- Threats or acts of violence
- Any form of racist comments or behavior
- Deliberate misgendering of a person
- Deliberate “outing” of any person’s lived experiences or identity without their consent
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
MHAS Berlin prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort.
Therefore, discrimination/harassment does not include:
- Feeling criticized for your social privilege
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ (which does not exist!) ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Refusal to explain or debate social justice issues when the person being asked is put in a defensive position based on their lived experience, personal identity, or safety
- Communication in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial
- A curbing of your “freedom of expression” when a marginalized person says that your opinion is racist, sexist, discriminatory or harassment
- Discussion of sensitive topics
This Code of Conduct applies to all events organized by MHAS Berlin that are held on their premises or at any other location. It is practised to protect the safety of all artists, facilitators, participants and visitors to Mental Health Arts Space (MHAS) at Kaiserdamm 109, 14057 Berlin. Anyone infringing this Code of Conduct will be asked to vacate the premises or leave the event immediately.
If you or someone else is being discriminated against or harassed, please report it as soon as possible. You can do so by sending an email to email@example.com. You are able to file the report anonymously by not including your name or contact information. We can’t follow up on an anonymous report with you directly, but we will take your comments seriously. We appreciate you sharing your feedback.
Attribution: This Code of Conduct is based on the example policy from the Geek Feminism wiki which is licensed under the Creative Commons Zero license.